Background

Monday, October 14, 2013

Welcome to "Pursuit of Perocity" by Brianna Crampton

Dear Reader,

My name is Brianna Crampton, and I love to read and write! I thought that blogging would be a valid way for me to share my love for literature. I am so fascinated with this art form, that I wanted to share my passion with others. You're probably asking, "Why is literature an art form?" or even better, "What does "Perocity" mean?" I hope you enjoy my title. "Perocity," by the way, means "intelligence." So, if you were to translate the title of my blog it would be; "THE PURSUIT of INTELLIGENCE," and what better way to strengthen a mind than through reading and writing.  Back to my initial question, "Why is literature an art form?" Well, the answer is quite simple...it creates change in peoples lives. It causes us to consider different perspectives. It cause us to feel emotions based upon the characters that we encounter. Literature is not a science, but an art that gives us the ability to improve. Have you ever considered language as a power? What would happen if I magically turned off your computer right now, and as soon as you attempted to turn it back on, you realized that you could no longer read or write? What would happen? Could you function? We rarely consider the art of reading and writing as powerful, but they are...two powers that can make us want to improve, at least for myself, anyway.


These are some of my favorite quotes about the power of literature: 


  • “That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you're not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong.” F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • “Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one.”  Terry Prachett
  • When I look back, I am so impressed again with the life-giving power of literature. If I were a young person today, trying to gain a sense of myself in the world, I would do that again by reading, just as I did when I was young.”  Maya Angelou
  • “Only the very weak-minded refuse to be influenced by literature and poetry.”Cassandra Clare
  • “From that time on, the world was hers for the reading. She would never be lonely again, never miss the lack of intimate friends. Books became her friends and there was one for every mood. There was poetry for quiet companionship. There was adventure when she tired of quiet hours. There would be love stories when she came into adolescence and when she wanted to feel a closeness to someone she could read a biography. On that day when she first knew she could read, she made a vow to read one book a day as long as she lived.”  Betty Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment